In this article, I give some background on what considerations are most important when creating tasks in the Sprint Backlog. Specifically, I speak from the following angles:
- Scrum Transparency
- What the Scrum Guide Says
- The Goals of Good Sprint Tasking
I then give 20+ Sprint tasking tips, such as:
- Prefer ideal hours over real hours to estimate tasks
- Strongly prefer more granular tasks
- Re-tasking mid-sprint is perfectly acceptable
- Prefer only 3 task statuses: TO DO, IN PROGRESS, DONE
- Put a capacity line on your burndown chart
Over the coming days and from time to time, I’ll post a few of the tips individually, but I won’t pester you by sending out all 20+ of them any time soon.
As always, all feedback welcome.
May the Sprint Be With You!